Friday, February 1, 2013

Run Like the Wind...Or Freeze to Death

Today's WOD

4 rounds for time
400 m run
8 deadlifts (105#)
12 TTB (toes to bar--I'm just trying to get my knees up to my chest!)
time: 16:39

Since I have been having problems with my knees I talked to the coach (Nick) about how they were feeling. He encouraged me to listen to my body, scale where needed and to let them heal. I know that running on already sore knees is not a good idea for me, so I did one round of 400 m and rowed the rest. It was SO COLD (wind chill of about 18 degrees) that I didn't think about stopping, but I decided to save my knees and my raspy lungs and row the rest of the rounds. I am so glad I decided to do it that way--I still have to ice my knees and and I will be glad for the next couple of days' rest, and then hopefully next week I can begin to rehabilitate them and work on better squat form.

Herein lies the challenge of CrossFit--it absolutely is a workout that everyone can do. Therefore, the most accomplished athletes are working out side-by-side with beginners. This has been a tremendous motivator for me at times. What I have to remind myself, however, is that many of these top athletes are in their 20s, they do not have children at home who need them to run upstairs immediately because they have soap in their eyes or have run out of toilet paper. I cannot be so exhausted that I cannot fix dinner or give the kids their lessons. I need to be able to function in my daily life. I am still a beginner. There is a level of confidence that I am gaining, but I have to remind myself that I still have much to learn and mistakes can be costly.

Today I talked to a guy who was wearing gloves for the WOD and I asked if those were for the run or the bar work, and he replied, "Both!" He said that they didn't help his grip at all, but his hands were starting to bleed from bar work. He laughed and said, "There's hard-core, and then there's silly!" I think it is possible to be a serious CF athlete and become very fit without ruining the body. I have to remind myself of this--I tend to go a little cray-cray and want to do everything to the max. Right now I'm going to listen to my knees.

No comments:

Post a Comment