Saturday, January 26, 2013

Whole Life Challenge is Coming

Beginning on February 16, I plan to take part in something called "Whole Life Challenge" (WLC) with others at my box. It's a challenge to help you recognize the areas of your life that need some tweaking with regards to health and fitness, and hold you accountable as you make changes. One of the key challenges is in how we eat. It encourages a paleo-style diet for 8 weeks, and I will admit that, while I am 80% of the way there, I am nervous about surrendering those last little things that I will have to give up. This style of eating means no grains, no sweeteners, and no legumes. I realize that for many of you I just listed your diet. It seems intimidating at first, and it has taken a while to adapt to the concept of a paleo diet, and the changes have come very gradually. I think I'm finally ready to take on the final step and do WLC.

One of the things I want to work on the most is increasing the variety and flavors of vegetables in my diet. Tonight we made something so quick and easy, but so delicious, I am going to put it on the top of the list of paleo-favorite meals. I'll call it "Warm Southwestern Cabbage Salad." I served it with a very simple chicken in chili-verde sauce that we blasted in the pressure cooker. That took all of 8 minutes and turned out better than if I had put it in the crock pot all day (love the pressure cooker!) I served it to my husband who loved it, to my daughter, who also loved it, and to another girl who is not of my flesh and blood and she loved it too, so it is kid-tested and approved!

Warm Southwestern Cabbage Salad (Paleo, WLC)
(From the Kitchen of Kelly Mine)

Ingredients

bacon fat, lard, or other high-heat cooking oil, just enough to lightly coat pan and vegetables to prevent scorching
1/2 head green cabbage
several carrots
1 tsp salt 
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
juice of 1/2 - 1 lime
enough olive oil to lightly coat salad
3 TBS apple cider vinegar
sliced avocado

Procedure
Shred cabbage and carrots in food processor or by hand
Preheat pan, allowing oil to get hot, but not smoking
Add shredded cabbage and carrots, salt, pepper, and cilantro, tossing in oil until tender, but still crisp (about 2-3 minutes)
Remove vegetables from heat and toss with olive oil, lime juice and apple cider vinegar
Top with sliced avocados

No comments:

Post a Comment