Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Hero WOD: White Challenge.

Lord. Have. Mercy.

What have I signed up for?

I plopped down my $45 for a "Hero WOD Challenge" at The Box which includes an extra day of skills classes each week for the month of June. I really wanted the skills classes. The WOD--not so much.

All during vacation I had nightmares (literally) about doing this WOD. I would wake up at that miserable 3:30 a.m. time thinking of how I could get out of it. I had a wave of understanding today that told me that I just didn't have to go. I wouldn't show up. I just need to stay home and avoid the stress.

I showed up--the sign of a true addict. I went to what I thought was going to be a skills class and Sara said, "How was vacation?" I was lulled back into jellyfish mode, smiling, relaxed and happy, without a care in the world. A second later she asked me, "Have you done the baseline yet?" and I was reduced to a groveling, begging, Gollum, pleading with her not to make me do the WOD tonight. You think I'm kidding? I am dead serious. She stood there with a smile on her face and said, "Everyone has to do the baseline. It's cool tonight, it won't be that bad." Mentally I was swearing at her and I'm not given to swearing as a general rule. And now, to make matters worse, I was responsible. I had talked good ol' Rachel Rae into doing the "skills class" with me instead of the WOD, which was hideous. She thought she was getting off easy. Turns out she hadn't done the baseline either. (Sorry, friend!)

Here's the WOD:
5 rounds for time:

3 rope climbs (in my case, 9 rope walk-ups)
10 toes-to-bar
21 overhead walking lunges
400 m run

score: 35:56

I couldn't even look at my BFF for encouragement I was so mad. I told another good friend that I felt like I was in hell somewhere around round 3. I came home and told my dear husband what happened and he burst out laughing...but then said how proud of me he was. He poured me a glass of wine and I told him that I felt like a real "badass" as they say around CrossFit. There really isn't another good word for the feeling, truthfully.

I guess I'm glad I did it. I'm surprised that I don't feel worse than I do. It is hard to shake the belief that I am weak and out of shape, but the truth is, I am no longer weak and out of shape. I just did three freakin' WODs in a row this week, and I am still upright, and not in agony. We'll see tomorrow...

My son said when I came home, "You know how Staples has the "That Was Easy" button? CrossFit should have one that says, "That Was Painful!" LOL...oh, how sincerely I agree with you, Son!

No comments:

Post a Comment