Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Hitting a Wall...

Summer is here, folks. The reason I know this is because I have been on one week of beautiful, incredible beach vacation and I am back home, looking at my LIST of things I need to get done before I resume lessons with the kids. My CF schedule is all whack as a result. I did a WOD on Monday--LOVED IT! Rested yesterday because I knew I would have to do a Hero WOD training class at 6:30 p.m. and those are invariably tough, not to mention I do not prefer working out in the evening. I am going away this weekend to visit my mom, and so my normal Friday schedule is also off. I don't like this kind of disruption to my routine, but what is interesting is that in the past, the exercise would always be the first thing to go, but not only would it go, it would stay gone along with a truckload of excuses. For the first time in my life I'm seeing that I will rework the schedule to make space for my workouts, and unless I'm sick, refuse to accept less than three per week.

On Monday we did a lifting WOD

3x3x3x3x3 front squats. I PRed at 105#.
5x5x5...bench press. I PRed that at 95#.

I worked out with two great friends and we had fun!

This hero WOD training, though, is kicking my butt. Sometimes I feel as if I am taking steps backward. The last time I did the class I utterly failed at something I have actually gotten the hang (no pun intended) of, and that is kipping. The WOD included toes-to-bar (in my case, knees to elbows or as high as I can get them) and for some bizarre reason I could not kip. I was flopping like a fish on the bar. Tonight's WOD had this also, and in the first round of ten reps I experienced the same thing! As I ran the track I prayed, "God, I have lost my kip--I need your help on this" and in the next set I turned my back to the coach, jumped on the bar, and kipped out 10 knee-raises.

There is something very psychological going on with this hero-WOD class and challenge. It involves rope climbing. I have successfully climbed the rope before, but for some reason when I am in the class, I  feel completely inept and cannot get up the rope. I have no doubt that I will conquer this, but at the moment, I feel stuck.

I remember getting my first box jump. I felt so confident and proud going into the next WOD that had box jumps. When I got there, though, I just stared at the box. I did a few, then when the coach called 3-2-1 I only had the courage to step up. I have only recently broken through that mental barrier, nearly 6 months later, when I can face a box jump WOD and actually jump the reps instead of stepping up.

I don't expect that I'll be doing the 15 (no I'm not kidding...it's 15) rope climbs in this WOD on July 6. I'll be really stoked, though, if I can manage one, and then do walk-ups.

I will be so glad when this is over. I am absolutely sure that it was right to push myself with this challenge. I know that there is a certain amount of mental pressure we must face sometimes to push us past our comfort zone into a new level of performance. It's just that at the moment I feel as though I am beating against a wall and wonder how much I can improve...

Tonight's WOD:

5 rounds for time
1 lap around the track
10 toes to bar (scaled to knee-raises)
10 wall-balls (I used 10 lb. ball)
10 hand-release pushups

time: 15:40

No comments:

Post a Comment