Tuesday, August 27, 2013

NOW I'm sore

DOMS. Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. Mmm hmmm. I am learning that magnesium and zinc supplements can help a lot with this, and so it looks like an epsom salt bath may be in the cards for me today!

Sunday after church I did this WOD with my son. That evening I checked the CFW Blog to see the next day's WOD and it was remarkably similar. Oh, okay. That's kinda funny, but cool--at least I'm on the right track when I combine moves for my own programming.

It went:
6 rounds
6 KBS
6 box jumps
6 pull-ups

time: 8:32 (it took me a few seconds longer than my 21-15-9 WOD because I had to strap in for the pull-ups each round)

 Monday morning I was not sore at all from Sunday's workout. Monday afternoon I was not sore at all from the combination of the two WODs. In the middle of the night last night I was tossing and turning and aware that my whole upper body was just...sore. Nothing acute, just sore. sore.

I actually love kettle bell work because it is such a whole-body experience and I know that everything is getting worked. If I had to choose the absolute minimal equipment for a good workout (and I currently am building a little collection of CF gear) kettle bells would top the list, everything ranging from 20-53 lbs. Currently I use a 35 lb. bell. When I started I couldn't swing that thing without endangering myself. Now it is just right, and soon I expect I will be ramping up when they say, "go heavy."

I also really love having a box in my arsenal. Step-ups and jumps are especially good for me because I have had such limited hip mobility coming into CF. I always feel those moves later in my lower back and hips, but in a good way. I know I'm getting stronger. I can now do all of the jumps that a WOD requires and for many of them I am bounding rather than stepping back off the box.

Two days and two favorite moves, lots of sore muscles. It's all good.

2 comments:

  1. Still jealous of your box jumps. Way to go, Kelly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now my husband and son are trying to convince me to jump 24" but I haven't worked up the nerve!

      Delete